Friday Treats ~ Strawberry Shortcake in Jars
The work week is finally over so let's kick off the weekend with something easy but tasty! With winter gone there's nothing I look forward to more than all the wonderful fruit we get to enjoy. Being a lover of berries, strawberry cake has always been on the top of my list. It's not only delicious but it's really easy to make, and it doesn't take much to create something stylish too. By building it inside some simple mini mason jars you can whip up the perfect Friday night party dessert. What could be cuter! The recipe's below so now let's get to eating!
Strawberry Shortcake in Jars
• 2 pounds strawberries, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
• Juice of 2 lemons
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 carton heavy whipping cream
• Zest of 1 lime
• Store-bought angel food cake
• Fresh mint, chopped, for garnish
• 4 (16-ounce) mason jars
1. Mix strawberries, lemon juice, and 1 cup sugar in a bowl. Let the bowl sit in the refrigerator.
2. In a cold metal bowl, slowly mix the cream, a cup of sugar, and lime zest using a hand mixer for about 7 minutes. The mixture will first turn into a bowl of tiny bubbles and then slowly turn into a thick, zesty whipped cream.
3. Trace a mason jar with a knife to cut a round piece of angel food cake. Press the cake into the bottom of the jar. Layer the strawberries on top. Add whipped cream. Garnish with mint chiffonade.
Recipe courtesy of Haylie Duff, Cooking Channel.
Photography By Jessica Burke Photography
Posted on Thu, April 9, 2015
by Allyson Noriega